Mom – she raised you from a squealing baby to become the fantastic person you are. Maybe she makes a mean chocolate-chip cookie, evicted the monster under the bed or marched to Jimmy Walker’s house to get your baseball glove back. Maybe she helped you through your divorce or provides pro-bono day care.
Whatever her qualities, she’s been there for you through thick and thin. Why not celebrate her by giving her a little “me time” with a good book?
We’ve put our heads together and selected four mom-worthy titles:
Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book — a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and with very little to go on, “Nell” sets out on a journey to England to try to trace her story, to find her real identity.
Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult - Emotionally riveting and profoundly moving, Handle with Care brings us into the heart of a family bound by an incredible burden, a desperate will to keep their ties from breaking, and, ultimately, a powerful capacity for love. Written with the grace and wisdom she’s become famous for, beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult offers us an unforgettable novel about the fragility of life and the lengths we will go to protect it.
10-10-10 by Suzy Welch - A transformative new approach to decision making, 10-10-10 is a tool for reclaiming your life at home, in love, and at work. The process is clear, straightforward, and transparent. In fact, when you’re facing a dilemma, all it takes to begin are three questions: What are the consequences of my decision in 10 minutes?In 10 months? And in 10 years?
It Sucked and then I Cried by Heather B. Armstrong - An irreverent and captivating memoir about the unexpected joys and glaring indignities of pregnancy, childbirth, and parenthood – from the beloved creator of the most popular personal blog on the web, dooce.com
Enter to win this prize pack! Just email email@example.com with “Mother’s Day Prize Pack” in the subject line and your mailing address in the body. Canadian addresses only. Rules and regulations after the cut.
Mother’s Day Sweepstakes
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Sweepstakes may only be entered in Canada (excluding
1. How to Enter. Visit http://simonandschustercanada.wordpress.com
and follow the directions to enter between 9:01 a.m. EST on May 4, 2009 and ends at 11:59p.m. EST on May 8, 2oo9. All entrants must have a valid email address. Online ballot contains: contestant’s name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. Limit 1 entry per person/email address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the Simon and Schuster (”Sponsor”) and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Delivery of prizes requires a street address (no P.O. Boxes). Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entry forms are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
2. Start/End Dates. Sweepstakes begin at 9:01 a.m. EST on May 4, 2009and ends at 11:59p.m. EST on May 8, 2oo9.
3. Eligibility. Participation open only to legal residents of Canada (exceptQuebec residents) who have reached the age of majority as of date of entry. Employees, officers & directors of Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies, or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. Subject to all applicable federal, provincial and local laws and regulations.
4. Random Drawing/Odds. Winners will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received on or about May 8, 2009 at 12 pm in Markham, Ontario. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received during the contest period. Selected entrants will be notified before May 31 by the Simon & Schuster Canada Marketing Department. By entering the Sweepstakes, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Sweepstakes.
5. Prizes. There will be 1prize awarded, each consisting of a copy each of The Forgotten Garden, 10-10-10, It Sucked and Then I Cried and Handle with Care. Approximate retail value of each prize is: $100.00Canadian. [Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. In the case of unavailability of any prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
6. Notification. Selected entrants will be notified by email and will be required to correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question. If any selected entrant cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any selected entrant rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Sweepstakes rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from all remaining eligible entries. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Limit one prize per person, or household.
7. Conditions. Participation in Sweepstakes and acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and province), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Sweepstakes or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants, and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with participation in Sweepstakes, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules or attempt to interfere with this Sweepstakes in any way shall be disqualified. There is no purchase or sales presentation required to participate. A purchase does not increase odds of winning.
8. Additional Terms. In case of dispute as to the identity of any entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Sweepstakes, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, Sponsor will select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Sweepstakes or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
625 Cochrane Drive, Suite 600, Markham, Ontario